Friday, July 25, 2008

Oh the Memories

So this past 2 weeks were absolutely amazing. The first week was camp, and that was filled with so many unexpected blessings(then agian, when are blessings ever expected?) I made amazing friends and other friends became best friends. That week I will never forget. And this week...well it wasn't as great as the previous one, but you know what kept me going...

God and memories

As some of you know, I work at a barn during the week and live with 6 other people in a double wide. So coming back to that was a major step down from camp. But during the week, there would be little things that would remind me of the time at the beach.

The acoustic guitar circle singing Relient K and Switchfoot

Jack Johnson on the beach

crazy Smash Mouth dance moves

making a fool of myself trying to skim board

All of that was amazing, but God moved, actually I moved closer to God. I started taking steps toward "Bethlehem" and away from "Mohab". I started a real quiet time. I gave ALL of myself to God instead of part. And you know something I just realized, all of this happened when I didn't expect anything. I didn't want to go to camp. I was just going because my family had already payed. And because i wasn't expecting some specific miracle to happen in my life, God was able to move me.


"When I made up my mind
And my heart along with that
To live not for myself
But yet for God, somebody said
Do you know what you are getting yourself into

When I finally ironed out
All of my priorities
And asked God to remove the doubt
That makes me so unsure of these
Things I ask myself, I ask myself
Do you know what you are getting yourself into


I'm getting into you
Because you got to me, in a way words can't describe
I'm getting into you
Because I've got to be
You're essential to survive
I'm going to love you with my life

When he looked at me and said
I kind of view you as a son
And for a second our eyes met
And I met that with a question
Do you know what you are getting yourself into"
-Getting Into You Relient K

Another thing that I found rather nifty that week at the beach was on Thursday, we were all laying on our towels expect a few, they were skim boarding. I had my head cocked their way to see what fools they would make of themselves. As I was watching them, to the right and up the beach some, was family feeding bread to several seagulls(like 10 or so). The thing was it was really, really windy, so the birds were having a tough time getting to the bread. They would flap their wings but stay in the same place. And when they tried to stop flapping, they would be blown back several yards. But get this, they kept flapping until they would reach the bread.

All this got me thinking, if a bird is willing to fight so hard for a single piece of bread, shouldn't we fight just as hard, or harder, to reach the food of life. Its kinda like Pastor Matt's metaphor/simile thing about the dead fish down stream. We are the birds, the bread is God's food of life, and the wind is the ways of this world. It would be so easy to just stop flapping and coast along with the breeze until we are miles away from our bread and so lost and confused that it is easier to stay put. But if we just keep going, we can reach the bread. So I challange you all to keep flapping, and don't give up.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hello love.
:D i am so glad your back.
I've missed yah.
seriously. You are an amazing friend and have always been a true encouragement to me. :D more then you know. you always seem to keep your faith. even when times are rough. you have no idea how much I want to be like that. anyways I'm really glad your back. :D